Dapsone comes as a gel to apply to the skin. It is usually applied once (7.5% gel) or twice (5% gel) daily. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Apply dapsone exactly as directed. Do not apply more or less of it or apply it more often than prescribed by your doctor. Applying more dapsone or applying dapsone more often than recommended will not speed up or improve results, but it may irritate your skin.
It may take up to 12 weeks before you feel the full benefit of dapsone gel. If your acne does not improve after 12 weeks of treatment, call your doctor.
Be careful not to get dapsone gel in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
To use the dapsone gel, follow these steps:
- Gently wash the affected skin and pat dry with a soft towel. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to recommend a gentle cleanser.
- If you are using the 5% gel product, use your fingers to spread a pea-sized amount as a thin layer of gel over the affected area. If you are using the 7.5% gel product, use your fingers to spread a pea-sized amount as a thin layer of gel over the face and any other affected areas.
- Rub the gel in gently and completely. It may feel gritty and you may see particles in the gel.
- Put the cap back on the gel tube and close it tightly.
- Wash your hands immediately after applying the gel.
Ask your pharmacist or doctor for a copy of the manufacturer's information for the patient.