The combination of umeclidinium and vilanterol comes as a powder to inhale by mouth using a special inhaler. It is usually inhaled once a day. Inhale umeclidinium and vilanterol at around the same time every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use umeclidinium and vilanterol exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Do not use umeclidinium and vilanterol inhalation during a sudden COPD attack. Your doctor will prescribe a short-acting (rescue) inhaler to use during COPD attacks.
Umeclidinium and vilanterol inhalation should not be used to treat COPD that is quickly getting worse. Call your doctor or get emergency medical help if your breathing problems worsen, if you have to use your short-acting inhaler to treat attacks of COPD more often, or if your short-acting inhaler does not relieve your symptoms.
Umeclidinium and vilanterol inhalation controls COPD but does not cure it. Continue to use umeclidinium and vilanterol even if you feel well. Do not stop using umeclidinium and vilanterol without talking to your doctor. If you stop using umeclidinium and vilanterol inhalation, your symptoms may get worse.
Before you use umeclidinium and vilanterol inhalation for the first time, ask your doctor, pharmacist, or respiratory therapist to show you how to use the inhaler. Practice using your inhaler while he or she watches.
To use the inhaler, follow these steps:
- If you will be using a new inhaler for the first time, remove it from the box and the foil tray. Fill in the "Tray opened" and "Discard" blanks on the inhaler label with the date that you opened the tray and the date 6 weeks later when you must replace the inhaler.
- When you are ready to inhale your dose, slide the cover down to expose the mouthpiece until it clicks. If you open and close the inhaler without using your dose, you will waste the medication.
- The counter will count down by 1 each time you open the cover. If the counter does not count down, your inhaler will not provide the medicine. If your inhaler does not count down, call your pharmacist or doctor.
- Hold the inhaler away from your mouth and breathe out as far as you comfortably can. Do not breathe out into the mouthpiece.
- Put the mouthpiece between your lips, and close your lips firmly around it. Take a long, steady, deep breath in through your mouth. Do not breathe in through your nose. Be careful not to block the air vent with your fingers.
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth, and hold your breath for about 3 to 4 seconds or as long as you comfortably can. Breathe out slowly.
- You may or may not taste or feel the medicine released by the inhaler. Even if you do not, do not inhale another dose. If you are not sure you are getting your dose of umeclidinium and vilanterol, call your doctor or pharmacist.
- You may clean the mouthpiece with a dry tissue, if needed. Slide the cover up over the mouthpiece as far as it will go to close the inhaler.