This medication may cause changes in your blood sugar. You should know the symptoms of low and high blood sugar and what to do if you have these symptoms.
Empagliflozin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- urinating a lot, including at night
- increased thirst
Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- frequent, urgent, burning, or painful urination
- urine that is cloudy
- pelvic or back pain
- (in women) vaginal odor, white or yellowish vaginal discharge (may be lumpy or look like cottage cheese), or vaginal itching
- (in men) redness, itching, or swelling of the penis; rash on the penis; foul smelling discharge from the penis; or pain in the skin around the penis
- flu-like symptoms
- dry mouth, nausea and vomiting, stomach pain, unusual fatigue or tiredness, difficulty breathing, breath that smells fruity, decreased consciousness or confusion
Empagliflozin may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.