Ciclopirox comes as a solution to apply to nails and the skin immediately surrounding and under the nails. It is usually applied once a day. To help you remember to use ciclopirox, apply it around the same time every day, usually at bedtime. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use ciclopirox exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Ciclopirox is used to improve the condition of nails, but may not completely cure nail fungus. It may take 6 months or longer before you notice that your nails are getting better. Continue to use ciclopirox daily as directed. Do not stop using ciclopirox without talking to your doctor.
Ciclopirox topical solution will work best if you trim your nails regularly during your treatment. You should remove all loose nail or nail material using a nail clipper or nail file before you begin treatment and every week during your treatment. Your doctor will show you how to do this. Your doctor will also trim your nails once each month during your treatment.
Only apply ciclopirox topical solution to your nails and the skin under and around your nails. Be careful not to get the solution on any other areas of the skin or parts of your body, especially in or near your eyes, nose, mouth, or vagina.
Do not use nail polish or other nail cosmetic products on nails treated with ciclopirox topical solution.
Do not take a bath, shower, or swim for at least 8 hours after applying ciclopirox topical solution.
Ciclopirox topical solution may catch fire. Do not use this medication near heat or an open flame, such as a cigarette.
To use ciclopirox topical solution, follow these steps:
- Be sure that you have trimmed your nails properly before your first treatment.
- Use the applicator brush attached to the bottle cap to apply ciclopirox topical solution evenly to all affected nails. Also apply the solution to the underside of the nail and the skin beneath it if you can reach these areas.
- Wipe off the bottle cap and neck and replace the cap tightly on the bottle.
- Let the solution dry for about 30 seconds before you put on socks or stockings.
- When it is time for your next dose, apply ciclopirox topical solution over the medication that is already on your nails.
- Once a week, remove all the ciclopirox from your nail(s) with a cotton square or tissue soaked with rubbing alcohol. Then, remove as much of the damaged nail as possible using scissors, nail clippers, or nail files.