Rivastigmine comes as a capsule and solution (liquid) to take by mouth. It is usually taken twice a day with meals in the morning and evening. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take rivastigmine exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Your doctor will start you on a low dose of rivastigmine and slowly increase your dose, not more than once every 2 weeks.
Rivastigmine may improve the ability to think and remember or slow the loss of these abilities but does not cure Alzheimer's disease or dementia in people with Parkinson's disease. Continue to take rivastigmine even if you feel well. Do not stop taking rivastigmine without talking to your doctor.
If you are taking rivastigmine oral solution, ask your pharmacist or doctor for a copy of the manufacturer's instructions for use. Carefully read these instructions. Always use the oral dosing syringe that comes with rivastigmine solution to measure your dose.Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions about how to measure your dose of rivastigmine solution.
Rivastigmine oral solution may be swallowed directly from the syringe or mixed with a liquid before use. Mix it with a small glass of water, cold fruit juice, or soda. Be sure to stir the mixture completely. Do not mix this medication with any liquid other than the ones listed. If the medication is mixed with water, juice, or soda, it must be taken within 4 hours.
To take a dose of rivastigmine solution, follow these steps:
- Remove the oral dosing syringe that came with this medication from its protective case.
- Push down and twist off the child-resistant cap to open the bottle of rivastigmine solution.
- Put the tip of the oral syringe into the white stopper opening on top of the bottle.
- While holding the syringe straight up, pull up on the plunger to the mark on the syringe that equals your dose.
- Check the liquid in the syringe for air bubbles. If there are large air bubbles, gently move the syringe plunger up and down a few times. Do not worry about a few tiny air bubbles.
- Make sure the plunger is on the mark on the syringe that equals your dose.
- Remove the oral syringe from the bottle by pulling up on it.
- Swallow your dose from the syringe directly, or mix it with the liquid you have chosen. Drink or swallow all of the solution.
- Wipe off the outside of the oral syringe with a clean tissue, and put the syringe back into its case.
- Close the child-resistant cap on the bottle of medication.