Galantamine comes as a tablet, an extended-release (long-acting) capsule, and a solution (liquid) to take by mouth. The tablets and liquid are usually taken twice a day, preferably with the morning and evening meals. The extended-release capsules are usually taken once a day in the morning. Take galantamine at around the same time(s) every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take galantamine exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor. You are less likely to experience side effects of galantamine if you follow the exact dosing schedule prescribed by your doctor.
Galantamine may upset your stomach, especially at the beginning of your treatment. Take galantamine with food and drink 6 to 8 glasses of water every day. This may decrease the chance that you will have an upset stomach during your treatment.
Your doctor will probably start you on a low dose of galantamine and gradually increase your dose, not more often than once every 4 weeks.
Continue to take galantamine even if you feel well. Do not stop taking galantamine without talking to your doctor. If you do stop taking galantamine for a few days or longer, call your doctor before you start to take galantamine again. Your doctor will probably tell you to start with the lowest dose of galantamine and gradually increase your dose to the dose you had been taking.
Before you take galantamine oral solution for the first time, read the written instructions that come with it. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to show you how to take the oral solution. To take the oral solution, follow these steps:
- Open the child-proof cap by pushing the cap down while turning it to the left. Remove the cap.
- Pull the pipette (the tube that you use to measure the dose of galantamine) out of its case.
- Place the pipette fully into the bottle of galantamine.
- While holding the bottom ring of the pipette, pull the pipette plunger up to the marking that shows the dose your doctor prescribed.
- Hold the bottom ring of the pipette and remove the pipette from the bottle. Be careful not to push the plunger in.
- Prepare 3 to 4 ounces (about 1/2 cup [90 to 120 milliliters]) of any non-alcoholic beverage. Empty all the medicine from the pipette into the beverage by pushing the plunger all the way in.
- Stir the beverage well.
- Drink all of the mixture right away.
- Put the plastic cap back on the bottle of galantamine and turn the cap to the right to close the bottle.
- Rinse the empty pipette by putting its open end into a glass of water, pulling the plunger out, and pushing the plunger in to remove the water.