Finasteride may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- inability to have or maintain an erection
- decreased sexual desire
- problems with ejaculation (including decreased volume of ejaculate)
- pain in the testicles
Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- changes in the breasts such as increased size, lumps, pain, or nipple discharge
- swelling of the lips and face
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
Finasteride may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.
Taking finasteride may increase the risk that you will develop high-grade prostate cancer (a type of prostate cancer that spreads and grows more quickly than other types of prostate cancer). Talk to your doctor about the risks of taking finasteride.